Friday, May 22, 2009

Hanalei Bay Beach, Kauai, Hawaii vs. Lake Powell, Utah Beach


For two years in a row some guy known as Dr. Beach has picked Hanalei Bay, on Kauai in Hawaii, as #1 on his list of America's Top 10 Beaches.

I imagine swimability is a factor, as in warm water. But two New York beaches are on the list. How warm is the north Atlantic? Only one California beach is on the list. California has a lot of nice beaches. No Oregon or Washington beaches are on the list. Both states have some real nice beaches, but I think the north Pacific is not as warm as the north Atlantic. I have been in the saltwater of a Washington Pacific beach in summer. The water is cold. Real cold.

I'm sure that Hanalei Bay is a really fine beach. It appears to be a nice beach in the picture, but there don't seem to be any people at the beach.

I'd likely love Hanalei Bay and it'd become my all time favorite if I got to swim there. But, currently, my all time favorite beach is the one you see in the picture at the top. Found on a side canyon off Lake Powell. This would make it a freshwater beach.

I'm guessing no freshwater beach is considered by Dr. Beach. Apparently he is some sort of beach bigot.

No comments: